This is an interactive gallery that allows GIS Staff to quickly search NAPSG Foundation resources hosted in ArcGIS Online.
Qualifications and Credentialing
GIS professionals and staff that are dedicated to supporting the public safety mission require a unique combination of knowledge, skills, and abilities in order to effectively support emergency operations. Establishing minimum criteria and qualifications for GIS personnel and teams for the Nation is critical to building the Public Safety GIS Workforce. NAPSG has developed the first version of Position Qualification Sheets and Resource Types/Packages for use by agencies nationwide, and across all disciplines, as guidance in the following:
- Informing the hiring process for GIS personnel in public safety
- Establishing professional development pathways for GIS personnel in public safety
- Achieving consistency in the request and deployment of GIS personnel and teams for mutual aid operations
- Building and sustaining GIS resource packages for use in support of emergency management
- Serving as a foundation for the development of credentialing processes and tools for GIS personnel and teams
|Basic 1||Field Data Entry Technician|
|Basic 2||GIS Technician|
|Intermediate 1||GIS Analyst|
|Intermediate 2||GIS Team Leader|
|Resource Type: GIS Map Support Team|
About this Effort – In developing these position qualification sheets NAPSG reviewed and assessed a large-body of existing work, including but not limited to the following: Homeland Security Geospatial Concept of Operations, URISA’s GIS Professional certification requirements, FEMA’s Qualifications System, NIMS Resource Typing structure, US Department of Labor’s competency model, and others.
The position qualification sheets and resource types/packages are living documents that NAPSG will update on a 6-month or 12-month basis as updates are identified by the community.